Thursday 14 May 2009

The Eyes Have It






Well, as promised, here he is.

Diesel. The new gundog in the making.

Our first two weeks have been interesting to say the least. As you can see, he's a beauty of a dog, and big to boot. But I have to keep reminding myself that he is only a pup still at 11 months. He has all the puppyish attributes too; playing games, stealing cuddly toys from the kids, not doing as he's told when he gets an exciting new scent wafting through those nostrils.

But already I know we're going to have a blast. He follows me constantly everywhere, and whatever I am doing, he wants to be doing it too.

He retrieves dummies very well to the whistle, and obviously has a good nose; finding dummies or a ball thrown without his knowledge into a sea of young wheat takes him but seconds.

And last night, after I had been out and bagged a few roosting pigeons, one fell out of my game bag. Without hesitating, Diesel picked it up and brought it over to me, tail wagging.

I think we're going to have some fun.




No comments: