Tuesday 26 May 2009

Messing about on the river




I've always wanted to live by the sea but living perhaps as far away from it as it is possible to get in the UK, I've had to settle for hours spent by a meandering stream.

I've tried my hand at the floating fly with some success and landed my share of coarse fish, but seem to spend most of my time gazing wondrously at the flora and fauna that abound near the water's edge, particularly in the summer.

Whether it's the glut of a mayfly hatch, as songbirds stoop to take their share of the winged plunder on offer, or the sight of an unfamiliar and beautiful flower on the bank, being near running water holds a special charm over me.

I took the dog down to a shallow stretch recently to gauge his appetite for water work. In true style, he was in and retrieving before either of us had a chance to think about it.
But while I was there, inevitably my mind strayed. Small boys unnwittingly did their bit for conservation in the dappled pools as they rootled about under rocks for the destructive alien species of crayfish; a Kingfisher piped past with that umistakeable whistle and flash of burning blue; and fry of all varieties darted and sashayed through the cool, crystal water.
I know it's been opined many times before, but it's true what they say. There's nothing so nice as messing about on the river.




1 comment:

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

He looks delicious! Did he get a dinner invite?
SBW